Thursday, February 27, 2014

Hey! Remember Me?

My radio career has taken me all over the country.  So I was stoked when I landed a gig in the city I grew up in.  Even though my parents had long passed away, it was still a biter-sweet homecoming.  I started my new job after I was all settled in and was optimistic that I was going to be with the radio station for a good while. 

A few months had gone by when one day I got a Facebook friend request from someone I used to go to high school with.  The note along with the request had read "Hey man!  Remember me?"

Of course I remembered this guy.  We spent four years in high school on the verge of beating each others ass.  He wasn't my bully, he was just very competitive with me over everything.  When I dated a girl, he dated the same girl after we broke up.  It was more than coincidence because this went on for four years.  He would also try to publicly humiliate me by doing stupid things that would try to make me look bad.  I'm not kidding when I say we almost got into over a hundreds fist fights.  We never fought but it was clear that the man was threatened by me back then.

15 years after high school this guy wanted to act like nothing had happened between us.  I realized that 15 years is a long time and people do change.  I know I have, so I let the grudge go and accepted his friend request.

Almost immediately the man instant messages me.  Saying things like "Hey how have you been?  So you're a famous radio star now huh?"  Plus other equally annoying questions.  I had only decided two seconds prior that I was going to accept his friend request and he was already acting like were have been best friends forever.  I was in the middle of a show and did not have time to chat so I told him I was working and didn't have time to talk.

That evening I logged onto Facebook from home and again, he immediately messaged me.  It did not take long for me to completely regret allowing this person back into my life and it did not take long for him to begin begging for tickets or other station perks.

A few months later my boss calls me into the station for a meeting.  I thought this would be a unscheduled jock meeting, but it wasn't.  My PD sat me down and asked about this "friend" by name.  I was a little surprised but told him he was someone I went to school with.  To make a long story short this "friend" showed up at a remote, and was bragging that I allowed him into the station after hours.  He even bragged that I allowed him to cover a few of my voice tracked shifts.  The man did not know the term voice track nor did he know that I was not in the actual studio when I was on the air late at night.  Apparently he was telling my coworkers that I let him go on the air to do my airshift.

I told the boss that it wasn't true and we eventually reviewed airchecks to prove it.  I wanted to kick this guys ass but in the end, I just cut all ties with him.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Radio DJ Confessions. Powered by Blogger.