Wednesday, February 20, 2013

She'll Have The Lobster I'll Just Have Water

I had a really bad breakup.  After 5 years of dating the same woman she up and left me.  She said she was homesick and wanted to move back home to Texas.  We ended things on a good note but I was devastated.  As heartbroken as I was I did not let it effect my on air performance.  However once I turned the mic off, I was back to my depressed self.  Management knew what was going on and they gave me my space.  As long as I did not let it effect me on the air I guess they did not care much.

It did not take long until my coworkers and friends all started to try and cheer me up.  Some of them even suggested that I start to see other people again.  That was the last thing that I wanted.  I just wanted to go home after work and sit in front of the television and do nothing.  After a few weeks my friends started to insist that I get over it.  It was just too hard for me to do that because I still needed time.

My boss had randomly given me a Saturday night off.  I thought that was very strange because I work every Saturday night.  I wasn't about to argue and looked forward to a nice quiet night at home alone.  When Saturday came around I got dozens of text messages from friends inviting me to hang out at a local bar.  I did not feel like it and declined all invitations.  Apparently there was some sort of formal party that much of the staff was going to attend and they all wanted me to join them.

Around 7PM there was a knock at my door and it was my buddy from the station.  I invited him inside and then he tells me to get dressed, insisting that I go to the party.  After about an hour of discussing it, he finally convinced me to go.  I felt it was more of a chore to go to this party versus going for fun.

As we were in the car my coworker had pulled into a really nice restaurant.  He then turns to me and says "Look man, everyone is worried about you.  So, I wanna come clean and tell you that there is no formal party tonight.  We set you up on a date and she is going to meet you here in about 20 minutes."

"Dude, what the fuck?  I don't wanna be forced on a date with a woman I don't know!  Wait, she is a woman right?"  Hey, I had to ask since some of my coworkers had a pretty sick sense of humor.  My friend calmed me down and told me to do it as a favor to him.  I agreed.  I started to ask questions on who this girl was, how did they find her, etc.  He refused to answer any of my questions and told me I was going to have to wait and see.

I got out of his car and walked inside where they had a table waiting for me.  The place was really nice and did not look cheap, at all.  I was scared.  I was thrown into a situation that I had zero control over.  My friend was smart to take me to the restaurant himself cause he knew if I had my car that I might have skipped out on the date and gone home. Damn!  There was no getting out of it.

Finally my date arrived and she introduced herself.  She seemed nice at first and was gorgeous.  I thought, well lets see how this thing goes.  We talked a little and then the waiter came to our table to take our order.  I ordered a normal entry and had a beer to go with it.  She ordered from the most expensive section of the menu.  She ordered a filet minion appetiser, a lobster tail entry, and a $60 bottle of wine.  I thought damn, this woman must think I make a lot more money than I actually do.  I am not a cheapskate but I knew this was going to wind up costing me over $200.  If I had known the girl, liked her, and asked her out myself, it would not have been a problem.

I got over how much the check was going to cost me and we started to make some small talk.  I then started to notice things.  She would interrupt me, abruptly change the topic of discussion, and seemed disinterested in anything that I had to say.  She was extremely rude.

When the food came she started to shovel food into her mouth and talked with her mouth open.  It was amazing.  It was like this girl knew everything that annoyed the hell out of me and the universe plopped her right in front of me.  I was annoyed but I remained polite.  The situation grew awfully tense and it was clear that I wanted to wrap the date up so I could go home.  After the lobster and wine pig out she excused herself from the table.  Around 10 minutes had gone by and my coworker had walked into the restaurant.  He sat down at the table and I began to explain the horrible time I had with this woman.  He did not say anything and listened to my rant.  I was not happy.

After I caught him up to speed he had a huge smile on his face.  He said that the dinner was on the radio station, I did not have to pay for it at all.  As we got up to headed towards the exit I told him I could not leave because I wanted to wait for her to get back from the restroom.

"She isn't in the restroom, she left.  I know cause I saw her leave on my way in."

What a nightmare.  We left the restaurant and I saw the woman in the parking lot.  She was standing next to my car!  Before I could ask how my car ended up in the restaurant parking lot she smiled and reintroduced herself.

"My name is **CENSORED**.  The joke is on you.  Your friends set this blind date up as a distraction from your recent troubles.  They also told me all of your pet peeves and told me to annoy you.  I am really not vulgar or rude like that.  Oh my god, I don't eat like that either.  I don't even care for lobster."

I laughed and said "You could have fooled me."

She smiled and asked me not to be angry with her or my friends for playing a practical joke on me.  She asked me on a real date the following weekend and I said yes.  We hit it off and eventually started dating.  I was just relieved that the real her was nothing like the fake her.

I have some amazing friends and coworkers and this was just the right push I needed to move on with my life.  I still was not over my ex at that moment in time but it really helped me to get passed the breakup.  
          

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Radio DJ Confessions. Powered by Blogger.