Tuesday, February 19, 2013

You Racist Prick

I used to work with a guy who I used to think was a cool person.  We worked together for 4 years and had grown close.  Besides the work stuff, we would babysit each others kids, invite each other to hang out on the weekends, and I even stood in his wedding.

The station had let him go and promoted me from APD to acting Program Director.  I was given access to his email so I could pick up on the business he had left off on.

I must have gone through years of correspondence when I found an email between him and a colleague of his.  His friend had hit him up asking if he could give him a job with our radio station.  He have always been a very small staff and jobs don't open very often.  My former boss responded to his friend with the usual I don't have anything for you at the moment.  I was about to close the email when something caught my eye and I continued to read the email.  He had told his friend that he would offer him my timeslot if he could but was forced to have some "color" on the station for equal opportunity.

Man, that was really fucked up.  It made me angry that he would speak like that because I had never known the guy to even remotely have a racist thought inside his head.  I moved on to the response from the email and the friend said something like "Damn jigaboos, they ruin everything!"

I was crazy pissed off.  How unprofessional.

A few weeks later my former boss had messaged me in a private message on Facebook to see how I was doing.  I ignored him.  After it was apparent that I did not want to speak to him he messaged me with "So, you take my old job and now you don't want anything to do with me?  Real classy."

I responded with "Damn jigaboos, they ruin everything!"  

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Radio DJ Confessions. Powered by Blogger.