Monday, February 25, 2013

Music Pee'd The Dog Off

I am what some would call a workaholic, so much in fact that I had accumulated quite a bit of vacation days.  I was forced by the station to take some time off so I had planned on taking a vacation to Hawaii.

I was hours away from my departure when I received a phone call that my sister had been in an accident.  I canceled my trip and drove the nearby city where she lived.  I won't go in details but she was injured and in the hospital.  There was really nothing we could do until she was out of surgery.  None of our family lived close by so I kept in touch with most of them over the phone.  My folks were flying in to see her but would not be there until the next day.  I too had one more day of work before my official vacation had started so I decided I would drive back, voicetrack my shift, pack some clothes, and then drive back to the hospital.  I had been there all day and before I had left, the doctor told me my sister was out of surgery and awake. 

I went in to see my sister and she looked terrible.  However she assured me that she was okay.  After about an hour, I told her my plan and that I would be back to see her after I went back to track my final shift, and packed some clothes so I could be in town for a few days.  She had asked me if I could look after her dog.  She said by that time he had been left alone and she did not know if he had any food or water.  It wasn't a problem so I said yes.

I went to her house and fed the dog.  I then realized that I did not know when someone could make it back to feed him again so I decided to take him with me.  We drove back together and I made it to the radio station around 4PM.  It was a really hot summer day so I knew I could not leave him in the car.  So I took the risk and took him inside the station.  I only needed to voicetrack a four hour shift so it wasn't going to take me long.

I used an empty studio so I could knock out my voicetracking without any interruptions.  I finished my shift and left the dog in the studio so I could get ready to leave on my vacation.  After about 15 minutes I was ready to go and the only thing I had to do was grab the dog.  I walked into the studio and the smell punched me in the face.  I knew what had happened and I knew he peed somewhere.  Sure enough, I found it.

I knew I could not leave the station without telling anyone so I told my boss what had happened.  He told me not to worry about it and to get back to my sisters side.  I grabbed the dog and we were off.

My vacation wasn't spent like I planned.  I had spent the next several days mostly at the hospital, but I had some family fly in so I made the best of it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Radio DJ Confessions. Powered by Blogger.